Sure, there are at least a thousand ways to get into trouble in Las Vegas, and a thousand ways to find fun things to do in Las Vegas. The internet is full of sites that will give you coupons for 2 for 1 specials for shows and buffets. Most of the casinos will give you free gifts for signing up for their player’s clubs, and there are plenty of publications that include coupons. Information on Las Vegas comes in many forms. I even have a couple of friends that go to Vegas at least twice a year and they constantly tell me all of the “inside” dirt on the “fun stuff” that they have discovered. I followed a lot of their advice the first time and quickly found that what one person finds fun, you may not find even a little interesting. I cannot difinatively say that I know any more than they do, but Iw ill at least tell you a few things that you may not have heard before. To that end, I have compiled a list of 10 things that may make your visit to Las Buffets open in las vegas a little better or, at least, a little more interesting.
1. Get a rental car – While Las Vegas is a great place to walk around and people watch, it is a nightmare on the feet. I love to walk through the casinos and see what they have to offer, but have found that the seeming miles between casinos on the strip, leave little energy for the fun things to do in the casinos. The tram is a great idea, but it is in the back of the casinos and well, most of those casinos are as deep as they are wide. You will need to watch for the gazillion poor people that didn’t follow my advice and are hoofing it around. Once you are a block or two away from the strip, driving is a breeze.
2. See a show – Go to one of the 1/2 price ticket places and get tickets to something you have never heard of. Some of the cheap ticketed shows are extremely fun. Definitely get tickets to a hypnosis show and be prepared. I would also suggest seeing one of the big name shows like “Cirque”. Tip – Once you have bought tickets from the 1/2 price place, you will typically have front of line privileges the next day to get tickets to something different.
3. Sit and enjoy the casinos – New york, New York is one of the more visually stunning casinos, so drive your rental to the valet drop and go on in (the valet thing is free except for the tip when they bring back your car). Sit in one of the higher traffic areas and just watch the people walk by. Check out the area that looks like you are in an old part of New York, complete with smoking manhole covers.
4. Famous Nathan’s – If you know, you know. If you don’t, find out.
5. Get a massage – Whether you are using the spa in your casino/hotel or one of the seeming thousands of other places on/off the strip to get a massage, get a massage. Nothing is more relaxing than this. This tip alone will have you thanking me.
6. Get over to Boulder – Vegas is more than the strip. I know, I know, but it is true. the “other” sides of town (Boulder Highway and Freemont) are often cheaper to eat at the buffets and better odds in the casinos. There is also the bonus of not near as much traffic as the strip.
7. Freemont – Speaking of the other side of town, how about the old part of town? In this ever-changing city, there is a place that you can still get a feeling of the old days. Any of the casinos on Freemont street will offer a direct opening to the “experience” and if you see nothing else in Vegas, see this. Wait until about 5:00 PM on a Friday evening and walk out in to the throng of people that are amassed outside the doors. There are bars with the doors wide open and offers of free or buy 1 get 1 drink specials. Watch for the lights to dim and the street performers to stop what they are doing, stare up into the canopy and watch the show. You wil NOT be disappointed. There are also some interesting, old strip clubs on Freemont that will, if nothing else, give you a sense of the other side of the glitz and glam of the other places.
8. Learn when to Hold’em – Take a free class from most of the casinos to learn how to play something you don’t know. Learn to play poker and sit in on a tournament. Play the weird games that are not in the main areas. Sit and enjoy the free drinks and play the penny slots.
9. Check out the free stuff – There are so many neat things that people just walk right by all the time. Enjoy a viewing of the pirate show in front of Treasure Island. Watch the dancing fountains in front of the Belagio. We got one of those Las Vegas City passes and spent most of a day doing the free things included with it.
10 Get outta town – Take a little side trip some place or do a tour. The haunted tour is pretty cool. Go to Laughlin or Reno and check out the other towns (you have a rental, you might as well use it).